Work Permit for Germany: The Easy Checklist

Work Permit for EU citizens

All citizens from Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, and Hungary do not need a special work permit for Germany. This means you have the same rights as the Germans.


The only exception are all citizens from the new EU members Bulgaria and Romania for unskilled work. Working in Germany for those EU members is still not easy - they still need a work permit for Germany. Please contact the responsible job agency (German: Agentur für Arbeit) in your city and apply for "Arbeitsgenehmigung EU" (EU employment permit).

Independent of the Working Permit, all EU citizens should consider getting an "EU residency permit". This step is actually very easy for you (old and new EU members). Just visit the Ausländerbehörde (the public authority office responsible for aliens) with your passport or national identity card to get your "Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung".

Residence permit for Job search in Germany

Work Permit for non-EU citizens

Foreigners who are not nationals of a Member State of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area or Switzerland should apply first for a residence permit. Working in Germany may only be exercised when your residence permit allows this. To check this on your own, please read your "residence permit" carefully and look for the following remark: "Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet". If you don't have this remark, you should visit the German Ausländerbehörde again and eventually apply again.

Normally before entering Germany, all nationals should first visit the German embassy in their country and get a German Visa (German: Visum). The only exception are the nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, South Korea, New Zealand, and the United States of America USA - they can also get the necessary residence permit after entering Germany by visiting the immigration authorities in Germany (German: Ausländerbehörde).

Generally, jobbing in Germany for people from non-EU countries is difficult. The only exceptions are experts with high qualification like IT (Green Card regulation)

If you need Health Insurance in the Embassy or Ausländerbehörde:

The Hanse-Merkur Versicherungsgruppe offers affordable health insurance tariffs for all foreigners in Germany starting at EUR 30.00 / 30 days.
Please check and compare all details here ...

Useful Links:

1. Arbeitsagentur Deutschland

2. EURES - The European Job Mobility Portal

3. Free Comparison of the main Private Health Insurances in Germany
Health Insurances in Germany

Best Value for the money.
Got everything on time and did use the documents without problem to obtain a visa in the German embassy.
We love you guys and are very appreciative of everything you do!

Svetlana, Russia

Excellent experience. I have nothing but good things to say about this website and the online application service.
Their pricing is fair and reasonable.

Sara, Australia

I am a long-term visitor in Germany and needed quickly a cheap insurance.
Got my insurance docs within minutes. Best Value for the money.


Rahul, India

We have received the documents REALLY within minutes and were able to extend our visa.

Great service. Can only recommend it.
Will use it definitely also in future.

Christina, Brazil
Copyright © 2022 Private Health Insurance in Germany for Foreign Students, Visitors and Expatriates. All Rights Reserved.
All information without guarantee. No guarantee for statements or indications referring to prices, product texts
and/or product pictures; errors and technical changes excepted.